Indian company Adani has begun sacking workers on its Carmichael mine project, raising fresh questions about the status of Australia’s largest coal development…staff working on the early phases of the mine, which would open Queensland’s vast Galilee Basin, were told last Thursday and Friday they were out of a job… company intends to keep skeleton workforce of about 20 people…remainder, about 90 engineers, safety officers and other mining personnel, have been told their departures will be staggered between the months of August and March.. …Company sources said workers were told they were being made redundant because of delays in getting approvals for the project from the Queensland and federal governments… ..”They’re basically doing what GVK did – sacking everyone but keeping a few people there,” one source said…Adani had stood down two major contractors – its project manager Parsons Brinckerhoff and Korean construction company Posco, which had been touted as an investor in the final project…The company has also suspended four engineering firms, WorleyParsons, Aurecom, Aecon and SMEC.
>more> TheAge